What is the Green Schools Recognition Program?
Pine Jog Environmental Education Center’s Green Schools Recognition Program recognizes public and private schools in Palm Beach and Martin counties that use ongoing “green” programs, projects and practices to instill a culture of sustainability on their school campus, in the minds of their students, and in their community. Now in its tenth year, the GSRP has recognized over 155 schools.
This program recognizes K-12 schools that have made strides in:
- School grounds enhancements that encourage the use of the grounds as a learning environment and enhance the area’s ecological integrity.
- Enhancing school sustainability through the conservation of energy, water, and solid waste, green fundraisers, health and wellness initiatives, and encouraging greener transportation.
- Integrating curriculum that will prepare students to understand and act on current and future environmental challenges facing South Florida.
- Involvement with the community that fosters partnerships within the school building and with local organizations in an effort to create an awareness of environmental issues between the school and the community.
- Administrative support through active professional development and the creation of a school philosophy and culture that embraces sustainability.