What is the Green Schools Recognition Program?
Pine Jog Environmental Education Center’s Green Schools Recognition Program recognizes public and private schools in Palm Beach and Martin counties that use ongoing “green” programs, projects and practices to instill a culture of sustainability on their school campus, in the minds of their students, and in their community. Established in 2018, the GSRP has recognized over 165 schools.
This program recognizes K-12 schools that have made strides in:
- School grounds enhancements that encourage the use of the grounds as a learning environment and enhance the area’s ecological integrity.
- Enhancing school sustainability through the conservation of energy and water, solid waste reduction, and encouraging green transportation.
- Fostering heath and wellness through initiatives focused on gardening, nutrition, physical fitness, and social-emotional well-being.
- Integrating curriculum that will prepare students to understand and act on current and future environmental challenges facing South Florida.
- Involvement with the community that fosters partnerships within the school building and with local organizations in an effort to create an awareness of environmental issues between the school and community.
- Development of school-wide green culture through practices and policies that reflect a whole-school commitment to sustainability.