H2O to Go! Connections: July 24-28, 2023
A Dual Enrollment Residential Program based at FAU Jupiter Campus for 9-12 Grade Students
Forms and Downloads:
Applications Due: March 28, 2023
FAU Pine Jog Center has joined forces with FAU John D. MacArthur Campus, FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, and CES Riverwoods Field Laboratory to offer a unique, week-long, residential research institute for high school and undergraduate students. This program, called H2O to Go, introduces students to scientists who are working in the field of environmental research. Students work with research scientists and develop an understanding of the interconnectedness and complexity of South Florida water systems and the environmental issues facing them. Students are exposed to research tools engineered by FAU that are currently being tested as solutions to Florida’s environmental challenges. This program is designed to give students a professional experience not easily obtained by the general population and will provide a competitive edge, particularly to students interested in life science, engineering, oceanography, and research. Most importantly, students are guaranteed to have fun. Recreational activities such as kayaking, canoeing, hiking, and swimming are integrated throughout our learning activities.
"Enhancing the year round academic experience with a rigorous residential component offered by FAU, a local state university, is a replicable model for all states. It provides high school students their “next step” in understanding the opportunities to grow as a professional in a field and serves as an inspiration for learning."
-Mr. Christopher Hill, Director of Operations
Program Fee: $975 per participant (FAU FEEs required also: $10 owl card/ $32.04 Transportation Fee)
Program Fee Includes:
- FAU Residential accommodation at Jupiter MacArthur Campus
- Food, drinks and snacks for the duration of the program
- Busing to research sites
- FAU Pine Jog staff supervision
- Access to FAU science and education staff
- 3 credit hours (available for FAU dual enrolled students)
Why is the H2O to Go! Residential Academic Program for High Schools Students Effective?
- Provides an immersive, rigorous academic learning environment
- Provides exposure to FAU campus’ researchers, scientists, and educators
- Provides a supervised FAU campus living experience
- Develops personal and social skills through interactions with fellow students, teachers, and agency representatives
- Establishes a relationship with FAU Pine Jog EE Center and FAU College of Education
- Is a cost-effective way to earn 3 dual enrollment credits in a residential setting